Lower Dolpo Trekking
Lower Dolpo Trekking is famous with it’s isolated area and it was opened in 1982 for the trekkers. Lower Dolpo is home to popular Shey Phoksundo National Park. Dolpo trek located under the protected area and takes us to superb Phoksundo lake with beautiful flora and fauna. It is situated in the Karnali region of Nepal and required the special permits from the government of Nepal. Dolpo Trek has three adventure high passes such as Kangmara La (5,115m.), Numa La (5,159m.) and Baga La (5,190 m.) are mainly challenging in this route.
Dolpo Trek is a very dry and unproductive area so the people lived here very difficult life but they were very humble and friendliness with their smiling face. Shey Phoksundo lake is the deepest lake in Nepal which is situated in this region. Since last few years, it is going very popular trekking of western Nepal.
Lower dolpa is moderate to strenuous walk along the lower part of Dolpo. Beautiful Lakes, People lifestyle, Buddhist Monasteries, Tibetan plateau and the traditional culture are the main attraction of this route. The local inhabitants still earn their livelihood by trading commodities like salt, cotton, barley, and rice in Tibet. Dolpa trek is possible in any time (except winter) throughout the year.
Lower Dolpo Trekking detail itinerary
This is a classic with 16 days itinerary compared to most walks in this region. The particular route is designed for world travelers who wish to hike in a more relaxed manner than take a look at this itinerary. However for travelers who wish to do quickly but are walking with limited time wise than ask us for tailor-made itinerary.Day 1 Arrived at Kathmandu valley
Upon arrival in Kathmandu, Tribhuwan International Airport, we will receive you with private vehicle and transfer to hotel in Kathmandu within B/B plan. Our representative will give you information about further programs.
We need your original passport with Nepal’s Visa to prepare Lower Dolpo restricted area permit. It takes some hours for official formalities to complete permits. Than we fix for meeting time each other. You will introduce with your guide. Your guide will brief details of dolpo trek.
Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalganj (1 hour by flight). And then overnight at Guest House.
Fly from Nepalgunj to Jhupal by 35 minutes. Trek from Jhupal to Dunai (2,150m) is roughly about 3 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Dunai to Tarakot (2355m) is 6 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Tarakot to Laina Udar (3246m) 7 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Laina Udar to Sim Udar (3585m) 6 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Sim Udar to Dhotrap (4070m) 7 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
This day, you will Visit Gompa and Village and then overnight at same place.
Trek from Dhotrap to Numala Base Camp (4630m) is 6 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Numala Base Camp to Danayghar (4470m) is 6 hours walking via Numala Pass(5115m) and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Danayghar to Yak Kharka (3965m) is 6 hours walking via Bagala Pass (5100m) and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Yak Kharka to Shey-Phoksundo Lake (3718m) is 4 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
You will explore Lake and Gompa and then overnight at same place.
Trek from Shey-Phoksundo Lake to Rechi (2940m) is 4 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Rechi to Kagani (2272m) is 6-7 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Trek from Kagani to Jhupal (2320m,) is 5 hours walking and then overnight at Tent Camp.
Fly from Jhupal to Nepalgunj and Kathmandu and overnight at selected Hotel in Kathmandu.
Drop you in Kathmandu International Airport onward your final destination and our trip ends. Wish you your wonderful journey.
How much does Lower Dolpo Trekking cost?
This trek is available now on USD 2,850 is standard trek price on double occupancy basis. In this price, we offer you Tourist Standard accommodation in Thamel, Kathmandu and of course the trip price will vary according to group size. For deluxe and luxury trekking tour plan, we add 3-star category hotel deluxe air-conditioned room in Kathmandu (BB PLAN). AND WE ARE OPEN TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR TOUR AND PACKAGES PRICE AS PER YOUR REQUIREMENTS. International tour leaders are highly encouraged to get discount and attractive complimentary.
- Kathmandu international airport transfer by private vehicles.
- Twin sharing tourist standard hotel accommodation in Kathmandu city within breakfast plan.
- Twin sharing standard hotel (Air condition room) accommodation in Nepalgunj town with breakfast plan.
- Tented accommodation during the trekking days in the mountain region.
- Meals : Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner serve with hot drinks each day during the trek days prepared by our expert cook.
- All the essentials camping and kitchen equipment.
- An experienced English speaking local trekking guide.
- Required supporting local porters and donkeys to carry foods and luggage.
- Lower dolpo Special trekking permit issued by Immigration of Nepal.
- Shey Phoksundo National Park entrance permit and fees with local taxes.
- Domestic flights: Kathmandu – Nepalgunj – Juphal & Juphal – Nepalgunj – Kathmandu round trip with tax.
- Food / Salary / accommodation and medical or accidental insurance of all the trekking staffs.
- Gokyo Treks and Expedition company First Aid kit bag.
- Farewell dinner party after the trip completion in Kathmandu.
- All the required airport and hotel transfer.
- Nepal Government Tax, VAT and as well as Company service charge.
- A special gift from our company.
Cost Exclude :
- Nepal entry visa fee cost US$ 40.
- Lunch and Dinner during your staying in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj city.
- All types of drinks during your staying in Kathmandu and Nepalgunj city.
- Battery charges, laundry service, phone calls.
- Personal trekking equipment, Personal nature expenses, donation and bar bills and clothing.
- Kathmandu city monuments entrance fees and transportation on second day as described above.
- Your travel insurance (it is mandatory in case of emergency).
- Any donation and monuments entrance fees.
- Tips for the crew (Note : TIPS is not compulsory but highly expected)
- Any other things which are not mentioned above
We can organize private Lower Dolpo Trekking starting at any date that works for you. Please contact us for more information.
Answer: Yes sure !! If you provide us your flights details then you should do request then our representative will come to pick up you on Kathmandu international airport.
Question: Do I need experience to do Lower Dolpo Trekking?
Answer: It is suitable for keen trekkers/walkers who are able to walk around 4 or 5 hours in a day, with a lightweight daypack. For this trekking, if you have about the little experience would be better.Question: What kind of accommodation can I expect on Lower Dolpo Trekking?
Answer: We provide you tourist standard accommodation in Kathmandu and Tented accommodation during the trekking routes. However we recommend you to take your own sleeping bags if you have one with you otherwise, you may rent it while you are in Kathmandu.Question: What kind of food can I expect in this trek?
Answer: During the tented camping trekking, our professional cook prepare a delicious range of mostly vegetarian such as Pasta, tuna bakes, noodles, potatoes, eggs, dhal bhat, bread, soups, fresh vegetables (variety depends on the season.Question: What opportunities will I have for a shower along Lower Dolpo Trekking?
Answer: As you are in camping trekking, we provide you hot water bucket then you will take a bucket shower.Question: How do I get drinking water on dolpo Trekking?
Answer: During the trekking route there are all places hotel and shops where you can able to buy mineral water and you can buy it for drinking but however we advise against buying mineral water in plastic bottles, as currently there are no provisions for disposing of these. Instead, we provide you boiled water or bringing chlorine tablets to purify the normal water as the normal water is available in campsite/along the way.Question: Can I charge my digital camera or other batteries on my trip?
Answer: During the local lodges here will be more chances to charge the battery. We recommend you bring an extra pair for in case. Remember to bring your own adapters!.Question: Is there any communication facilities on Lower Dolpo Trekking?
Answer: In this trekking route you can get telephone services as well as internet services as well.Question: Can I use credit cards in Lower Dolpo Trek?
Answer: No! So, for the trekking routes, you need to have cash Nepali rupees because credit cards work only in the bigger city areas.Question: When should I book my trip and what is the payments terms?
Answer: Because our trips book up months in advance, we recommend booking early to avoid any kind of misunderstanding. We will, of course, make every effort to accommodate last minute bookings.
And regarding the deposit, we prefer 25 % advance deposit of the total price of the trip in order to confirm your reservation before you arrive in Nepal. And the rest of the payment can be made after your arrival in Nepal.
Answer: We provide porters to transfer your luggage. As we are a responsible trekking tour operator agency, each of our porter carry maximum 25 kilo of your backpack which means 2 guest (12.5 kg luggage of each guest): 1 porter basis.Question: How much distance do I walk each day?
Answer: When walking in the mountains, the distance you cover each day can vary greatly due to a gradient, terrain, and altitude. As such it is very hard to give specific distances on each day, however, you have to be prepared to walk roughly about 5 hours each day.Question: Do I need walking polls on Lower Dolpo Trekking?
Answer: Walking pools are recommended but not compulsory.Question: How much additional money do I need per day?
Answer: You can allocate US$ 08 – 10 for a lunch/dinner in Kathmandu and it depends on your spending habits. US$ 7 to 10 US$ each day will be enough to buy bottles of water, chocolates, tea coffee and some drinks while you are on trek.
Lower Dolpo Trekking Highlights
- Discover Shey-Phoksundo Lake, challenging Numa la and Baga la passes along the route
- Ancient and isolated villages, Buddhist monasteries, Enthralling culture and tradition.
- Old Buddhist monasteries, Enthralling culture and tradition, Experience the vast array of wildlife inhabiting the region
- Believed to be a inhabitants of Snow Leopard with many other wild animals.
Lower dolpo trek Notes
the trek itinerary is subject to change due to a condition beyond our control. This is a Guideline showing tentative camp night stops. A physical, technical and natural condition may change this above itineraries.
“What makes Lower Dolpo Trekking special ?”
Opportunities for challenging trekking or hiking and pleasant strolls are scattered all over this planet; you just need to know where to find them. We at Gokyo Treks and Expedition believe in the quality services. Your safety and satisfaction is our concern. We are a team of professional, experienced, well trained and licensed local guides who know the destination much better than others.
Trip Price : USD 2,850 Per Person
- Duration of trek: 18 Days
- Max Altitude: 5,070m / 16,630 ft
- Trekking Hour: 6 Hrs
- Group-Size: 2-25 People
- Best Time: Oct -May
- Trip Mode: Guest House
- Meal on Trek: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Transportation: Car/Plane/bus
Cost & Departures
Your Trip Your Style!
ITINERARY, COST, DEPARTURES, will adjusted according to your GROUP SIZE NEED TIMEInquiry NowCustomize Trip
Book with Confidence
- Lowest Price Guaranteed.
- Excellent Customer Service
- Easy and Hassle Free Booking.
- 90 % Repeated customers
- Travelers Recommended agency
- Local Guide’s owned company.
Reference person of Gokyo Treks !
Contact in Germany
Klaus Kummer : +49-367-2351-957
Roland Stich: +49-0271-870-031
Dr. Lars : +49-3641-5395-160
Contact in USA
John Erwin: 212-222-6389
Beth Pekol, Chicago: +1 312-364-8924
Eve Quesnel, California: 530-5879-113
Contact in Australia
Mark Panico: +61-402-526-430
Dr. Chris Hislers: +61-419-556-381
Contact in Austria
Verena Laner: +43-650-7110-301
Contact in Switzerland
Dominik Lee, Zürich: +41-079-3826-028