Based on Reviews
- Makalu expedition duration days: 48 Days
- Makalu Height: 8,485m / 27,839 feet
- Climb hours: 6 Hours average
- Climber Group Size: 2 – 8 People
- Best for Summit climb: May Month
- Trip Mode: Full board Tent Camping
- Meals on Trek: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Transportation: Private Jeep / Car
Mount Makalu Expedition is another top popular expedition activity as it is the fifth most elevated mountain on the planet at 8,485 meters. It is situated in the Mahalangur Himalayas 19 km southeast of Mount Everest, on the boundary between Nepal and Tibet Autonomous Region, China. According to its Makalu facts, the Makalu height is 8,485m/27,839 feet and is a secluded pinnacle whose shape is a four-sided pyramid.
The Makalu summit at 8,475m offers a gorgeous view of Makalu itself and some other supreme mountains that including mountains Everest and Lhotse. Furthermore, the expedition team can see Mount Nuptse (7,879m), Lhotse Shar (8,383m), and Baruntse (7,720m).
Attempting to climb Makalu is both a difficult and genuine endeavor and its distance and challenges make it a stage above numerous other 8,000m summits. Simply 22Km east of Everest and 80Km west of Kangchenjunga, Makalu has an unmistakable pyramid shape, with its South East and North Western edges being generally noticeable. Thus, the expedition Makalu adventure is considered one of the most difficult mountains in the world to climb. Therefore, an estimated 250 climbers have made it to the summit successfully till today.
Adventure Makalu mountain is the 5th top highest mountain expedition on the planet in terms of its height. Summit Makalu is located between Nepal and Tibet, China. It is often complicated to ascend. Professional climbers should attempt this mountain, though it is partially saved with fixed ropes.
A french expedition team climbed mount Makalu on May 15, 1955, for the first time in expedition history. Lionel Terray and Jean Couzy were the first to reach the top on the 15th, while Franco, Magnone, Coupe, Bouvier, Leroux, Vialatte, and Sardar Gyaltsen Norbu submitted the following two days.
The Makalu expedition takes about 7 weeks, beginning and finishing off with Kathmandu, town. Mount Makalu is situated on the border between Nepal and China, about 19 km southeast of Mount Everest. Climbing Makalu is the seventh deadliest mountain in the Himalayas. From 234 ascents 26 people have died. There are 5 successful ascents of the first 16 attempts which means the Makalu death ratio is 8.9%.
Before climbing Makalu, we recommend that you complete at least two to five international or high-altitude climbing expeditions. Aconcagua, Denali, Mount Vinson, and Himalayan mountains such as Nirekha Peak and Lobuche Peak are all excellent preparation.
Guided or non-guided
A coordination just undertaking will be less expensive yet you should act naturally sufficient on the mountain. Guiding trips clearly incorporate an episode for the guide, which is more costly for a Western guide comparison to a Nepali Sherpa Guide.
Bottled oxygen or not
The vast majority is bottled oxygen yet for the rare sorts of people who don’t, it’s saving. One bottled costs around US$ 465 and most customers utilize seven on a standard endeavor.
According to our past climbers, we have designed the Makalu expedition itinerary cautiously to allow for gradually ascending and proper acclimatization. The best season for the expedition group to climb is in May and June months. If the itinerary is not suitable for you, we modify the expedition travel plan as per your request and the duration of the holiday.
Mount Makalu expedition itinerary details.
Our Mount Makalu expedition 48 days itinerary is just a sample plan. Our expedition Makalu climbing itinerary is very special, kindly contact us to get a daily travel plan. We are happy to send you the detailed expedition travel itinerary at your request.
01 Day: Arrival in Kathmandu Town and Transfer to the Hotel (1,350m)
02 Day: Rest in Kathmandu, Expedition briefing and Preparing.
03 Day: Fly from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar airport and drive with a local JEEP to Num (1,560m).
04 Day: Num to Sheduwa village Trek (1,510m), Tent Camping.
05 Day: Sheduwa to Tashi Gaun Trekking (2,070m), Tent Camping.
06 Day: Acclimatization at Tashi Gaun (rest day for acclimitization), Tent Camping.
07 Day: Tashi Gaun to Khongma trekking (3,760m), Tent Camping.
08 Day: Khongma to Mumbuk trekking (3,520m), Tent Camping.
09 Day: Trek from Mumbuk to Nehe Kharka (4,320m), Tent Camping.
10 Day: Trek from Nehe Kharka to Makalu Lower Base Camp (4,870m), Tent Camping.
11 Day: Acclimatization day in Lower Base Camp, Tent Camping.
12 Day: II Acclimatization day in Lower Base Camp (rest day), Tent Camping.
10 Day: Hike from Lower Base camp to Higher Base Camp. Tent Camping.
14 – 42 Day: Climbing Period (Base Camp – Makalu Summit (8,485m) – Base Camp), Tent Camping.
43 Day: Preparation to Return (Base Camp Cleaning), Tent Camping.
44 Day: Makalu Base Camp to Yangle Kharka trekking, Tent Camping.
45 Day: Khongma to Sheduwa trekking, Tent Camping.
46 Day: Trek from Sheduwa to Num and drive to Khadbari or Tumlingtar airport, Tent Camping.
47 Day: Drive from Khandbari to Tumlingtar and Fly to Kathmandu & Transfer to the Hotel. Trip Finish.
48 Day: Leisure day in Kathmandu. Afternoon, transfer International Airport for final departure
How much does the Mount Makalu expedition cost?
The Mount Makalu expedition cost US$ is the standard trek price on a double occupancy per person basis. But of course, the trip price will vary according to expedition group size. For the deluxe and luxury trekking tour plan, we add 5-stars category hotel deluxe air-conditioned room in Kathmandu with a breakfast plan. AND WE ARE OPEN TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR TOUR AND PACKAGES PRICE AS PER YOUR REQUIREMENTS.
Mount Makalu expedition cost includes:-
- Airport transportation as per your arrival date to join the Makalu expedition.
- 3-star category hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on Bed with Breakfast plan.
- Domestic flight: Kathmandu to Tumlingtar to Kathmandu airfare as per the expedition itinerary.
- Full board high altitude Meal while trekking to base camp and climbing Makalu
- Makalu summiteers climbing Sherpa (01 Sherpa: 02 climber’s ratio)
- Required number of porters as per the expedition group size.
- Group climbing gears like rope, ice bar, etc for the Makalu expedition.
- Makalu expedition peak climbing permit and all government taxes.
- Makalu National park and conservation area permit fee for the expedition.
- Liaison officer with all his expenses while on the Makalu climbing expedition.
- Expedition Manager, Expedition cook, support crew and porters with their types of equipment, daily wages, food, insurance, etc.
- All camping gear including base camp tents, dining tent with table and chair, kitchen and toilet tent, etc
- Mountain Hardware high altitude tents while on climbing the Makalu Mountain.
- Emergency Oxygen with regulator and mask while on the Makalu expedition days.
- EPI gas and burner for the high climb.
- Gamow bag / Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) All necessary climbing hardware group equipment
- First aid medical kit, Oxymeter to check heart rate, pulse, and oxygen saturation at higher altitude.
- In a worst case, help with all Helicopter Rescue and evacuation arrangements.
- Satellite Phone and Walkie-Talkie in case of emergency (pay guest).
Mount Makalu expedition cost excludes :
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 40.
- Lunch and Dinner during the staying in Kathmandu town.
- Medical and personal high-risk insurance.
- Makalu Summit bonus US$ 500 USD minimum for each climbing Sherpa guide.
- Applicable permit fees and custom charge for Sat phone, communication equipment and commercial filming while on Makalu expedition.
- Any kinds of battery charges, laundry service, phone calls and hot shower during the trek.
- Personal trekking and climbing equipments ..
- Personal nature expenses, and bar bills.
- Travel insurance to cover helicopter rescue evacuation in case of emergency).
- Any donation and monuments entrance fees.
- Tips for the crew (Note : TIPS is not compulsory but highly expected).
- Any other things which are not mentioned above.
We can organize a private Mount Makalu expedition starting at any date that works for you. Please contact us for more information.
Question: Is pick up service available on my arrival day in Kathmandu, Nepal?.
Answer: Yes sure. Provide us your flight details, We will come to pick up you at Kathmandu international airport.
Question: What sort of accommodation can I expect on the Mount Makalu expedition?.
Answer: You will have tent accommodation while on trekking and climbing days.
Question: What kind of food can I expect in the Mount Makalu expedition?.
Answer: Our professional cook cooks a delicious range of mostly vegetarian foods. They are like noodles, potatoes, Pasta, tuna bakes, eggs, bread, soups, and fresh vegetable rice until base camp. From base camp to Makalu expedition days, Tourists will have climbing foods. They are depending on the available seasons. We serve food with hot drinks such as tea/coffee.
Question: How do I get drinking water on expedition Makalu?.
Answer: We serve you pure drinking water after purifying using AQUA TABS while on camping days.
Question: Are there any communication facilities for Climbing Makalu?
Answer: We can help you to arrange a satellite phone to call in an emergency and you pay. So, you can acquire telephone services.
Question: When should I book my trip and what are the payments terms?.
Answer: Because our trips book up months in advance. We recommend booking early to avoid any kind of misunderstanding. About US$ 10,000 non-refundable deposit upon confirmation of your eligibility to join the expedition. For and remaining part of the payment, you need to pay right on arrival but before expedition departure. Likewise, If you transfer money to our bank account, you should pay also the bank service charge.
No refunds on the deposit, nor balance payment will be provided for Makalu Expedition due to the huge expense incurred planning/facilitating such an expedition. And the rest of the payment, you can pay on your arrival in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Question: Who will carry my luggage?.
Answer: We do provide high-altitude porter / sherpa to transfer your luggage depending upon the group size.
Question: Where can I organize my personal climbing gears?.
Answer: Hiring the best camping gear is a must as you go 8,000 mountain climbing. The branded gears are expensive as their life is longer than cheaper gears. Nonetheless, If you have those climbing gears at your home bring them along with you. If you don’t have them, you can rent them in Kathmandu.
Question: How much additional money do I need per day?.
Answer: You can allocate US$ 08 – 10 for a lunch/dinner in Kathmandu and it depends on your spending habits. US$ 12 to 15 US$ each day is almost enough to buy bottles of water, chocolates, tea coffee, and some drinks while you are in Kathmandu.
Mount Makalu Expedition Review
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Mount Makalu expedition highlights
- Discover the eye catching sights of Mt Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Cho Oyu, and Makalu Itself..etc.
- Makalu summit offers the best scenery of boarder mountains.
- Experience the Eight thousander (8,000 meters) mountains climbing.
- Get to know the wildest, most pristine and less frequented trail Makalu Base Camp hiking trail.
Adventure Makalu Climbing Permit Cost
Makalu expedition permit fees are totally depends upon the expedition season that you apply to attempt. Normally the climbing permit cost in spring season is US$ 1800, in autumn season US$ 900 and for winter and summer season is US$ 450 per person.
Mount Makalu expedition Note.
The Mount Makalu expedition information stated above is just a standard template guideline. The trip itinerary is possible to tailor at your request to accommodate your specific terms. Local politics, landslides, local flight cancellation, weather, transport or a multitude of other causes that are out of our control can result in a modification of schedule during travel.
It is, nonetheless, improbable that the agenda would be generously adjusted. On the off chance that adjustments are essential the pioneer will choose the best elective choice, thinking about the best worries of the entire gathering. Where a change happens, we do all that we can to limit its impact, yet we can’t be liable for the after-effects of changes or postpone them.
“What makes Mount Makalu expeditions special?”
Opportunities for adventure climbing – expeditions are scattered all over the planet Earth. You just need to recognize where to find them. We at Gokyo Treks and Expedition believe in quality services. Your safety and satisfaction is our concern. We are a team of professional, experienced, trained, and licensed local guides who know the purpose much better than others. Not only this but also we give benefits to the local communities and help to conserve natural resources which reduced costs and consumption.
|No. of people||Price Per Person|
|4 - 6||USD|
|7 - 9||USD|
Cost & Departures
Your Trip Your Style!
ITINERARY, COST, DEPARTURES, will adjusted according to your GROUP SIZE NEED TIME
Book with Confidence
- Lowest Price Guaranteed.
- 100% Customizable Trips
- Excellent Customer Service
- Hassle Free Booking.
- 90 % Repeated customers
- Highly Recommended agency
- Private/group tour options
- Local Guides Company.
Extra Fun on Adventures